Student or Team Carbon Slam Video Application
Application is open to any student or team of students enrolled at Berkeley, Davis, Merced, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara, or Santa Cruz. Riverside has already selected their Carbon Slam finalists, and San Francisco is using an internal application process.
Applications are due by 11:59 pm on April 10th
To enter to represent Berkeley, Davis, Merced, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara, or Santa Cruz, you must submit an application and a video presentation. The deadline to submit your application and video is 11:59 pm, April 10th.
Film your presentation
- Time Limit: Presentations are limited to three (3) minutes maximum. Presentations exceeding three minutes will have points deducted.
- Title Page: Begin your recording with: 1) your full name (or team name), 2) campus you are enrolled at, and 3) the title of the presentation. The time it takes to do this will not be counted against the three minutes you may take to present your research or innovation.
- PowerPoint Slides: Up to three, single, static PowerPoint slides are permitted. All work on the slide must be original to the student or team and cannot be generated by a professional . No slide transitions or animations are allowed.
- Other Rules: No additional electronic media (e.g., sound or video files) are permitted. No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted. Presentations are to be spoken word prose (e.g., no poems, raps, or songs).
- Video Submission: Save your video in a common format, such as mov, mpeg4, mp4, wmv, avi, webm, and name your video file name_campus_carbonslam (ex: suecarter_ucsc_carbonslam.mp4). If your video file is less than 50 megabytes in size, you will upload it to the application form. If your video file is larger than 50 megabytes in size, you will upload it to the secure site of your choice that you own and share the link with Can Edit permission with firstname.lastname@example.org via the application form. (See below.)
Complete and submit your application online
Complete the application form, including the steps of uploading your video with the correct name or supplying the URL link to your video with the correct name uploaded to your secure site (with Can Edit share permission to email@example.com), and click Submit.
We will send you an email receipt once we receive both your correctly completed application form, including your uploaded video or video link. If you do not receive such an email within a few days of submission during normal business hours, you should assume it was not submitted properly and should email Sue Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend you apply and submit early so that you can confirm your submission is received. (It’s unlikely we’ll be answering email the weekend of the submission deadline!)
Address any questions about applying to Sue Carter at email@example.com.
Quality and live-pitch differences
If you win top place in one of the categories to represent your campus at Carbon Slam on May 23, your live presentation may differ from your video submission; however, the subject matter must be the same. The quality of the recording is not judged; it’s the quality of the content that is important.
The deadline to submit your application, including your video, is 11:59 pm, April 10th, 2016! No late submissions will be considered.